Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Submerged

Over the summer I found a call for art in my hometown to participate in a show called 'Submerged: Third Annual Mini Works Show.' I read the requirements, the piece had to be exactly 5 x 5 inches and somehow work with the theme of Submerged. I knew creating something so small would be right up my alley, but I didn't quite know what to do with the theme. All I could think of were those big old submersibles they used to use to explore underwater, something along the lines of Bill Murray's boat in 'Life Aquatic.' So I went from there. Knowing I didn't just want to do a tiny traditional drawing, I created the piece in layers to give that feeling of depth that comes with being submerged. The final result was a small tunnel book:

I finished it 5 minutes before I left to go to Scotland and asked my dad to submit it for me, hoping I would hear back as to whether or not it got accepted while I was away. A few days ago I received an e-mail, my piece was in! Now fingers crossed someone will actually buy it...

No comments:

Post a Comment