Saturday, August 27, 2011

Illuminated Letters

Recently in my attempts to get myself to do art post-graduation I have been working on an Illuminted Letters Alphabet. Originally I was just going to make one 'A' but then I got caught up in it, so now I'm moving on to the whole alphabet. Each letter is inspired by an obscure or unusual word.

A was before I really had any idea of a theme. I guess in retrospect A is for Aviary.

I then experimented with some color, scanning in old test strips of watercolor samples. 
Still not quite sure if I like that look or not yet.

B is for Bric-a-Brac: Small, usually ornamental objects valued for 
their antiquity, rarity, originality, or sentimental associations

C is for Cornucopia.


Then I got bored with D and skipped to H, which is for Horology:  
the art or science of measuring time


Currently in progress is E for Entomology



24 comments:

  1. Does a comment count if it comes from your aunt?
    These are really beautiful Alice!
    love you
    Janet
    ps yours is the very first blog I ever commented on (let alone ever visited!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely Beautiful! Can't wait to see your other letters. Very talented lady!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are truly amazing! Illumination is a lost art, thank you for keeping it alive!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Alice,
    Well done! You might want to look at artist Daniel Mitsui's blog, danielmitsui.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice! please finish the whole alphabet though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent calligraphy styles....

    ReplyDelete
  7. They're beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Keep going Alice, they are unique and beautiful with all the little items in the letter word.

    ReplyDelete
  9. beutiful and creative works of art

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful! Will you make the alphabet for sale?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Truly gorgeous! I hope you finish the alphabet *crosses fingers*

    ReplyDelete
  12. I need an I, a N, T, & H beautiful work

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful, Outstanding, Original!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful, Outstanding, Original!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Did you know you are being discussed on the NSEAD Facebook page as an inspirational artist for use in schools!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Did you know you are being discussed on the NSEAD Facebook page as an inspirational artist for use in schools!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I dreamt about an Illustrated letter S...have been searching the internet to find one...I am hopeful you will do one someday...your art is amazing

    ReplyDelete
  18. Do you have all alphabet complete?? It Send me please

    ReplyDelete
  19. These are amazing. Very beautiful and intriguing. Thank you, I'll be rifling through your blog archives, if anybody needs me ��

    ReplyDelete
  20. your characters are so inspiring! I see you havent worked on the set for some time but hope and pray to see more of it soon! I hope you dont mind, my mother and I printed a set to color and you have brought our creative flow back to life :) I dont usually color others works but yours are so special

    ReplyDelete